Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Frogs!

This is a quick post because I need to go to bed. I am not only into parrots, but all kinds of animals, and this post will focus on my second favorite group: herps, aka reptiles and amphibians! This weekend I went on an overnight field trip with my herpetology class, and I had an awesome time. We caught a whole bunch of salamanders, frogs, toads, a tiny snake, a box turtle, and a fence lizard. But for me, the highlight was this:
Ignore my dorky expression and the head lamp I'm wearing, and look at my hand. I caught the endangered pine barrens tree frog! And what's better, I caught it within 5 minutes of the start of the search, and found it by imitating his call so that he called back. Two of my friends and I got close enough to him that I could see him and grabbed him. It was awesome. He is an absolutely gorgeous frog, I didn't know there were frogs that gorgeous in New jersey. I got an awesome shot after we all finished admiring him and put him back on a tree.

The purple markings and yellow flash coloration on his legs (that you can barely see above but is clearer below) are incredible. This was a huge, fat male. He should get lots of ladies.

I am tired, but I want to include this picture of a carpenter (?) frog and a green frog we caught because I think they look funny. Good night!

5 comments:

  1. Aww man. I miss going on herp hikes.

    And you stole my super secret "imitate their call until you catch them" trick. BAH!

    :-)

    Cool pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My one faithful reader, you make me feel special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I didn't realize that frogs can be incredibly adorable until your pictures! Will all of your posts involve things that I thought were gross but are actually cute?

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol you are stealing my faithful readers/commenters! jk. Your frogs are cute and did you know Stephie has 2 snakes? AND ONE IS NAMED SNAKEY and it makes me laugh SO HARD cause I am easily amused...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cori, who told you that? Cuz it's wrong. :-P

    The most snakes my family had at one time was 5. I had a florida king snake (Cupid), my mother had three ball pythons (Monty, Kato and Fawn), and my brother had a mexican black king snake (Snakey).

    Cupid sadly died only about a year after I got her. Snakey we gave away to another family a few years ago. Monty, Kato and Fawn are all still alive and well living with my mama.

    And Emily, I am super excited about having another blog to read so you should post a million times please. :-)

    ReplyDelete